6 tips to fix the Google Chrome video shutdown issue
If you use Google Chrome and cannot play videos from sites like YouTube or Vimeo, it may be due to a bug in the version of Chrome you are using, and here’s how to troubleshoot, from the simplest to the most common.
1- Google Chrome Browser Update:
Google Chrome gets regular updates, and video sites often happen in parallel with compliance with the new browser standards, so make sure to update Google Chrome to the latest version, and you must check manually from time to time to update any urgent fixes that are sent to the browser.
2- Verify that the video is publicly available:
If a friend sends you a link to a video, that video may have geographic restrictions regarding who is watching it. To confirm this, enter the name of the video into Google. If the video does not appear to you, the problem may be in the link sent to you.
- Click the three dots button in the top right of the browser to open the main menu.
- Select (Settings).
- On the right side of the screen, choose Privacy and Security.
- Choose (Site Settings).
- Press the toggle button.
- Restart Google Chrome and try to download the video again.
4- Activating Adobe Flash:
Google gradually removed Adobe Flash from the browser after a lot of security issues appeared in it, however, some websites have not updated their videos, so you can activate the software to view and disable the video again to keep the browser safe.
5- Clear the cache:
This step can solve many problems related to not playing videos, but before that, you can try to use the incognito window to play the video, through the following steps:
- Copy the URL of the video you want to watch.
- Click on the three dots in the upper-right corner of the browser to open the main menu.
- Select the option (new incognito window).
- Paste the URL in the browser bar and see if the video is working.
6- Reset Google Chrome browser:
If everything else fails, you can completely reset Google Chrome, which may be necessary if programs or plug-ins change settings, and you cannot easily access them.